Wednesday, June 16, 2010

End of Semester...

Exams start this week so this ends up being the time of year where students beg and plead to pass. It's not like they have the entire semester to do well. News flash: the final week of class is NOT the time to start caring about whether you get your credit or not.

I digress.

This is also the time when you see students you haven't in quite awhile. I had a grade 11 student show up today after a few weeks of total absentia and say 'I heard we were doing the pig dissection'. 'This is day three of three, you've come in halfway through class and you have been absent for three weeks. How do you plan on fixing this?' I'm pretty sure she answered but I was too annoyed to pay attention. I gave her the assignment, the website to the virtual pig dissection and sent her to the library.

My department head was telling me about one of his grade 12's who is failing his class with 4%. 4%! How do you even manage that? Well that was a question proposed by one of his high achieving seniors.

student: "4%?! How can someone even get that?"

teacher: "Well you could ask him, but as you can see [student fail] isn't here to ask" *as he says this he gestures towards student fail's seat.*

student: "[sf] is in this class?!?!"

THAT's how you get 4%. Attend class so irregularly that your own classmates don't know that you're in the class.

The end of the semester infuriates me but it is RIPE for blog entries.

No comments:

Post a Comment