One of the questions on my grade 11 biology exam has to do with comparing Natural Selection (Darwin) to the Theory of Acquired Characteristics (LaMarck). They are given a statement ("Cheetahs are the fastest land animal on Earth") and they have to write 'journal entries' as both LaMarck and Darwin explaining how this came to be.
Most of the time I just get a couple paragraphs that are written like they were taken from a textbook but sometimes I get full-on journal entries:
Dear Notebook:
I've been studying cheetahs for a while now and it seems to me that cheetahs run rather fast. I've come to the conclusion that this is because all the running they do has stretched their legs and made them as fast as they are today. This theory might show Darwin up ;D
-Your's truly, LaMarck
Should I deduct marks? LaMarck developed the Theory of Acquired Characteristics before Darwin was born and died 30 years before the publication of On the Origin of Species.
No comments:
Post a Comment