Thursday, April 29, 2010

Fashion over Function

Yesterday was our first of two Orienteering meets! Orienteering is bascially cross country with a scavenger hunt component to it. Participants have to find certain number of 'controls' in order while completing the course as quickly as possible.

This year the course was much more difficult mostly because of some of the control placements. There was at least one or two that were located by raspberry bushes (read: thorns). Most of my students came by torn up and bleeding.

I overheard the coach of another school talking to one of his senior females about the race...

Teacher: "Good job!"
Student: "Thanks, sir. I'm bleeding!" (her calves were torn to hell by the raspberry thorns and she was wearing 3/4 length tights, fyi)

Teacher: "That's why I told you yesterday to wear long pants."
Student: "Yeah. I know. But these are so cute!"

It's hard to argue with logic like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment