Thursday, March 24, 2011

Tough Decisions

It has been a little bit since my last post. There is a good reason for this, I promise.

It has come to my attention that there have been some teachers (in the States) that have received disciplinary action because of blogs they keep surrounding their classrooms and students. I was unsure of whether to continue this blog as I really do love my job and I wouldn't want to jeopardize it over such a silly thing.

However, I have decided to keep going for one simple reason: I like putting down into type some of the crazy things that I hear and see during my day. It allows me to look back and laugh when I'm having a particularly busy or just plain shitty day.

One thing is for sure, however. I will tone down my more negative stories (i.e. students acting disrespectful, etc.) since looking back on these ones just make me annoyed and this really doesn't help.

I need to stay positive!

Fresh start!

With that being said:

On Monday, I decided to make yogurt with my grade 11 college prep Biology class. Overall, I think they enjoyed it! Today we are going to mix some fruit/sugar/granola/whatever into it and eat it while watching the movie Outbreak (virology!). When I mentioned this plan on Tuesday, one of my students piped up:

"Sir, I'm not eating it."

"Why not? It's good for you!"

"I didn't know there was bacteria in yogurt until you told us."

"You mean the ingredient 'active bacterial cultures' didn't give it away on every single yogurt container you've ever encountered?"

To be honest, my last statement assumes they've actually READ the ingredients of yogurt. Big assumption on my part, I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment