Thursday, November 26, 2009

Teachers hate coverages

I hate covering classes. A lot. They are the worst. I especially hate tech class coverages for two reasons:

#1: The students are not allowed to use the machines because the covering teachers are, for the most part, unqualified to use them. They hate this.

#2: I have never in my 6 years of teaching been left meaningful work for the students to accomplish. Instead I am left babysitting while the students watch various movies or play Guitar Hero. I feel like an underpaid babysitter.

With that in mind, this exchange occurred during a tech coverage I had yesterday morning.

Student: Sir, can I get a drink?
Me: No. There is five minutes until the end of class. You can wait.

Student: I’m not even in this class.
Me: Well then why are you here? What class are you suppose to be in?

Student: Mr. X’s (another tech teacher) class.
Me: Why aren’t you there?

Student: We have a supply teacher and we’re just watching a movie.
Me: Oh ok. Well you can go then.

Student: *as he leaves* I’m just going to go back to my class, sir. Thanks anyways for letting me go!

Well at least he was polite.

No comments:

Post a Comment